Whenever a new technology is introduced to the market, a curious dance takes place between the company introducing the technology and its prospective customers.
A lot gets lost in this gap.
For example, in our past experience with another start-up business we launched a service that provided a ground breaking telecommunication network for car dealers across the UK and the USA. After the service went live, our UK partner conducted a customer satisfaction survey, asking the car dealers to identify the benefits of our technology. The survey question listed various features of the technology, including its speed, accuracy, etc. The car dealers universally checked “Other” on the survey and wrote, “We like having a printout for our records”.
We were proud of our network technology and focused on the technical achievements that made our network possible for car dealers. But our customers didn’t care about the technology, they cared about their needs (the need to survive an audit).
In any business endeavour there exists a gap between the way customers and operators see the business. This gap is particularly acute with a new technology business, because the customers have not yet had a chance to apply the technology to their own lives.
Our Dance is Just Beginning
Our new venture is called MondoPlayer, but it’s not really a “player”. We think we know what it is, but our customers probably have a very different idea.
We think MondoPlayer is:
1. A new kind of search engine that delivers a continuous flow of links to the latest and most relevant content on the Internet.
2. A new kind of browser that zooms into the video on a page and knows how to start the video and knows when to move onto the next link automatically – producing a seamless hands free TV experience with content all the web.
3. A way to watch lots of videos at the same time and move the sound to the video that catches your attention – like a video aggregator/reader (similar to Google Reader – but designed for video).
4. A powerful tool for tagging and sharing videos in real time with a community of people who are tuned in and watching as you add videos the network.
5. A social media platform for delivering content like News clips, Sports Highlights and Music videos in a more natural format.
What do our users think? We don’t know.
You can help us bridge this gap – Download MondoPlayer and tell us what you think?
Photo Credit: Gisele Pereira
Supercharge your Content Marketing
Improve your results up to 63%.
Make your content mobile friendly. Find out how to transform your content.
Actionable Tips, Tools and Resources.
Get MediaVidi’s Guide. Free.